LEATHERWOOD MOUNTAIN POA MINUTES
Russ Simmons, Chuck Mann, Diane Ertell, Lelia Ivey, Rex
Craig, John Single, Randy Burke
Guest: Phil Whitson
Russ discussed a mission statement.
1. Be supportive of the membership
2. Enhance the value of the Leatherwood experience for
a. Property Owners
b. Guests and renters
c. Businesses that support Leatherwood
3. Enhance security while giving a pleasant experience
4. Board is a service group, not a “serve-us” group.
Phil Whitson spoke. Kruger Brothers coming July 2nd. New
stage area will be stoned. Homemade ice cream, beer,
wine and food will be provided with a charge—a
Construction: changes to meeting room to expand
restaurant- to add a Florida type room, dining area. Add
tack shop, snacks, souvenirs, clothing to room at
restaurant. Will have snack area. They want to move
activity and horse check-in to the new area. Lindsay and
Bailey to move into present tack shop. Menu will stay
about the same with a few improvements from time to
time. Fine dining for events, POA, Thursday nights, or
if busy enough. Restaurant: sandwiches available seven
days a week 8-5.
Entertainment Report: Diane discussed plans for a
Memorial Day Cookout at the picnic shelter 5/28 at 6pm.
Hamburgers, hotdogs, baked beans, drinks provided, bring
a side dish or dessert. World Renowned Turkeyspurs will
Security: Lelia had security meeting 5/12/05.
Handed out minutes for the meeting: see attachment.
Contractor code to change quarterly. Phil Rash will not
give Lindsay things to do regarding gate codes. All
instructions should come from POA. Phil Whitson is
person to contact regarding POA/Welcome center business.
Lindsay will continue Guest code changes through Phil
Whitson who will get instructions from Chuck and David.
Lelia continued discussion on growth and possible
changes with the five year plan. Phil discussed missing
items such as towels and damages for rental homes and
how it is to be handled. Your POA Board is not a police
force. Architectural Review Committee has been expanded
to include Phil W. and Phil Rash. No more signs allowed:
Construction site numbers, construction signs, etc, and
advertising by constructors. Each of the three members
can make decision on his own or if in doubt the three-
Dick, Phil and Phil will collectively decide.
Architectural plans still go to Mountain resources. Phil
and Phil to make onsite decisions.
Phil and Russ discussed merger of Leatherwood Business
and Leatherwood POA in meeting to discuss items of
mutual interest, but with each entity maintaining its
own identity. Proposal of joint meetings, minutes, and
committees for input of ideas and interests, but a
decision on each item will be made by prime concern of
POA or LW business. Non voting board members: Phil, and
Phil on POA. Board members non-voting on LW business.
Phil brought board up to date on Phil and Phil’s
agreement and background on how they have arrived at
today’s position on Leatherwood. Where they stand in the
purchase of LW Businesses with Dick Johnston. Dick has
been very supportive with all suggestions and changes
made by them. He has been supportive money wise, but has
disengaged in involvement as Phil and Phil have become
more involved. Optimistic about exercising their
purchase option Feb 2006.
Non-binding agreement between the Board and Phil and
Phil to merge. Randy made a motion to accept proposal as
made by Phil to add a non-voting board position to be
attended by Phil and Phil for the purpose of discussing
joint common interests that enhance the LW lifestyle.
Chuck seconded. Passed unanimously. Phil and Phil agreed
to motion and new policy.
Roads. Ken Huffman will start repaving problem
areas. Buckaroo, Guardrail area, Granny’s Ridge Road,
across from Ellis are slide problem areas. Committee
needs to discuss further options on this matter.
Randy Burke reported on culverts. Contractor, Travis
Construction was to have started last Monday but hasn’t.
Randy is working on what is needed to correct culvert at
pond. He will get estimate on repairing that.
French drain needed in meadow area to clear up muddy
areas. Agreed to wait until weather is dry and POA will
put that in. Fox Cove paving has begun. Dick Johnston is
doing that paving before the road is turned over to the
Finance: John’s Report
1. We are becoming more formalized in handling finances.
Spoke to Powder Horn POA Brider and Boyce. Consulted
among a whole list of Wilkesboro CPA’s who keep books
and do audits. Asked for another board member to
accompany him to visit CPA. Chuck Mann and Russ to visit
CPA. John needs to be shown where lights at gate are
out. Tennis courts need more lighting. Some repairs need
to be made to surface, tie downs need to be replaced.
2. Financial services still need to be explored as Phil
and Phil take over. Auditor still needed
for annual audit.
1. Directors and Officers insurance is what we have and
can get as a non-profit organization. Personal umbrella
will work. POA can only raise liability limit.
2. Phil Whitson suggested a meeting with Phil, Phil, and
Randy to discuss what is needed and can we get it.
Attorney on retainer has requested: covenants, corporate
charter that establishes POA registered in Raleigh, and
bylaws of corporate records in LW.
Fire: Chief Rex stated five people have
volunteered to take training so we can man a substation.
First, Ferguson fire line has to be expanded. We need to
get petitions signed to expand the line. Where will the
substation be located? Rex has joined Ferguson VFD and
is getting First Responder training. Bill Ivey may also.
Five road miles are included from Substation as a fire
David A. Bridgers